It took six months after I moved in to get round to decorating my bedroom and another 9 to post it on here but finally the combination of a tidy room, a bright day and a moment to blog have all come together and this is the result.
The inspiration for this room was a beautiful piece of fabric by Harlequin. I didn’t have much but the plan was to cut out the trees and applique them onto the bottom of the curtains (made to measure by Ada & Ina 20% off till 31st of Jan). This has never happened. I did manage to find John Lewis blinds in the same fabric at which I could gaze all day.
The original layout of the room had built in wardrobes along the wall opposite the windows so the bed could only go where it was in the first photo or against the outside wall (where I have it now. Usually I have it facing the windows but got bored the other day and moved it. I wouldn’t recommend this as it’s definitely colder being on an outside wall in the winter months).
I thought the alcoves either side of the chimney breast were a better space for the wardrobes so we spent a day ripping the old cupboards out (keeping the wood for other projects (more of which later … like much later … like probably another 9 months) unearthing a time line of wallpapers in the process.
I had the wardrobes built by Emma from allsprucedupcarpentry they took about 4 days and cost around £1000 unpainted. She was an amazing worker and I’d love to have her back to make more things but she’s currently having a baby.
Though Emma built the wardrobes I set dad the project of building a fire surround. This fireplace used to live in my Aunts garage but we all decided that my bedroom would be a much more suitable home for it. I built a prototype in cardboard so dad could see what I was thinking and left him to it. (The fireplace isn’t fixed to the wall so it is totally coming with me if I move.)
I didn’t have to buy any new furniture for the room. I just repainted things I already had. It was a lovely surprise finding these shiny brass hinges underneath all the layers of paint on this bedside cabinet.
I really liked the idea of these ombre drawers but maybe they are better suited to a nursery, so after about a day they got repainted.
One final treat was finding the original door hidden under two pieces of hardboard.
1. Made to measure curtains Ada and Ina
2. Silhouette fabric Harlequin
3. Links Wallpaper Harlequin
4. Mason Rug Laura Ashley
5. Rolling Fog (Mid) paint Little Greene
6. Rolling Fog paint Little Greene (I got mine colour matched at the local paint shop … much cheaper)