Here’s a little project that was left over from our Everything Alice book (there just wasn’t enough room!) These Stained Glass Heart Cookie Pops are the perfect treat to make for someone special on Valentines day. This recipe makes around 20 cookies depending on the size of your cookie cutter.
YOU WILL NEED
1-2 packs hard boiled sweets (simple fruit sweeties work well)
115g butter, softened
55g golden caster sugar
180g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tbsp milk
2 heart shaped cookie cutters (one smaller than the other)
ribbons to decorate
Icing pens, most supermarkets sell these in little packs of 4 colours … they look like this
1. Pick out all the red and pink sweets from the packets. Place them in individual plastic bags and whack with a rolling pin till they are broken up into small pieces
2. Place the butter and sugar into a bowl and beat until pale and creamy. Sift the flour into the mixture and add milk. Use your hands to mix everything together to form a ball.
3. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/ gas 4 and line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
4. Place in the fridge for 20-30 minutes. Remove from fridge and roll dough out onto a floured surface till it is about 5mm thick.
5. Use the larger of the two cookie cutters and cut out a heart shape. Use a cake slice or palette knife move the cookie shape to one of the baking trays. Place a lollipop stick underneath the cookie at the tip of the heart. Then use the smaller cutter to cut a heart shape in the center of the cookie. Repeat with all the cookie dough.
6. Fill the holes with some of the crushed sweets. Try not to leave any on the cookie dough as it will burn and turn brown.
7. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until the biscuits are just golden. The sweets will melt as the cookies cook and form the glass window effect. Allow to cool and make sure the sweets have rehardened before you transfer them to a wire rack.
8. When completely cool use the icing pens to decorate, leave the icing to harden then tie a ribbon and a gift tag around the stick with a special love note written inside.